This is My Trail Horse: Pumpkin Spice

By Mary Lynne Carpenter

Pumpkin Spice is a 13.2 hand chestnut gelding who has stolen my heart. Spice’s breed origins are unknown due to having been bought at auction out of a “kill buyer’s” lot a number of years ago by a previous owner. Spice is estimated to be 13 years old.

I am his fourth owner since his near miss with the trip to the slaughter house. Before coming home to live with me last Summer, I knew that Spice had been a family trail mount for a few folks and also spent a year working at a therapeutic riding center where he carried adult and child riders with physical and cognitive challenges. I now ride him at home, on the trails and at the occasional horse show. Whatever his exact breed and history, Spice is clearly gaited so soon after I bought him I registered him with the American Gaited Pony Registry so he would have some paperwork to follow him in the future.

Spice definitely has a distinct personality and a mind of his own as is befitting most ponies, but he is generally a calm and steadfast riding partner. He is usually not bothered by unusual sites/sounds/obstacles and due to his level headedness, I have had fun experimenting with things like riding him bareback while carrying an umbrella. Out on the trails, he gives me confidence in a way that few horses do. Spice goes over and through mud, water and ditches without a fuss. He will lead, follow and go out alone though he definitely prefers a buddy.

I am so grateful to have the opportunity to care for Spice and ride him. Now that Spice and I are signed up with ACTHA, we are looking forward to our first ride later this year. I would love to find a venue for Spice where his best qualities- slow and steady- can be rewarded. I am hopeful that participating in ACTHA rides will be just the ticket.

Many thanks to Durvet Apple Wormer for sponsoring "This is my Trail Horse".  Spice will receive a gift from Durvet. www.applewormer.com

Share your "This is My Trailhorse" story with ACTHA Facebook by emailing laurie@actha.us