This is My Trailhorse: Cody - The Best Horse


I’ve been riding for 60 years and Cody is by far the best horse I have ever known. Over the years I’ve developed strong opinions about the “perfect horse”, Cody is as close as I’ve ever seen. Funny thing, Cody came to me by way of the internet. A fellow in Montrose, Colorado was selling him online. I rode him for 4 hours then wrote a check, a pretty large one. Best buy of my life as it turned out. Once I got him home I stared to discover what a special fellow he was. He’s a registered Quarter Horse and was 6 at that time.. then mostly dark gray and dappled. He is the most agile, powerful, yet careful horse I have ever seen. We spend hundreds of hours every summer up in the high country above 10,000 ft. and mostly on rough mountain terrain. I’ve never had a mishap with him or been with anyone I thought was better mounted. Cody is a horseman's dream. Good horses are hard to find and great horses are rare. Cody and I are a perfect match… we both have curiosity, stamina and a joy of getting out in the mountains. I look after him, always careful to make sure I don’t ask him to put a hoof in a dangerous place, let him rest after a long or steep pull and he looks after me, never letting us get in a bad situation. If I chose a path that is less then smart, he says “lets try this way, it’s safer and easier” .. Cody’s never wrong. Nothing scares him… we were on top of a mountain, way above the timberline, at 12,500’ in the Pecos and lightning hit 125 feet from us.. Cody never even flinched. That was more then I could say for me. He told me 13 years ago he didn’t like iron bits so we stopped using them and I had a horsehair bosal made for him, sometimes we just skip a bridle altogether. I have been blessed to share the past 14 years with this outstanding fellow. We are both grey old-timers now but still have the will and strength and I think love of the trail. I truly hope we have many more years in the mountains ahead of us. 

Bill Manns
Santa Fe, NM

Many thanks to Durvet Apple Wormer for sponsoring "This is my Trail Horse". Cody will receive a gift from Durvet. www.applewormer.com Share your "This is My Trailhorse" story with ACTHA by leaving your story with a photo in the private message box of the ACTHA Facebook page or by emailing alex@actha.us.